I thought this was too good not to share. A couple months ago, Tantor Media signed me on to produce an audiobook version of The Potato Hack. Today, an email:
Hi Tim, I am the Casting Coordinator at Tantor Media. We are in the Production process for The Potato Hack and the narrator was wondering about some of the Latin pronunciations that you listed.
- Acidaminococcus intestinalis
- Bacteroides ovatus
- Bifidobacterium adolescentis
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Blautia producta
- Clostridium cocleatum
- Collinsella aerofaciens
- Dorea longicatena
- Escherichia coli
- Eubacterium desmolans
- Eubacterium eligens
- Eubacterium limosum
- Eubacterium rectale
- Eubacterium ventriosum
- Faecalibacterium prausnitzii
- Lachnospira pectinoshiza
- Lactobacillus casei
- Parabacteroides distasonis
- Roseburia faecalis
- Roseburia intestinalis
- Ruminococcus torques
- Ruminococcus obeum
- Streptococcus mitis
Do you have the pronunciations for these?
Oh, crap! I slept all through high school Latin, and I make up new pronunciations as I go! Here was my reply…how did I do?
Wow, I had not even thought how difficult this part would be for someone, lol. These words are pronounced differently be everyone! I have written them out below, if I heard them pronounced this way, I’d understand.
If the narrator would like to call me, I could pronounce them to clarify.
For instance, Escherichia coli. I said: “Esh uh rik ee uh; co’ lye.” Dictionary.com says, “esh-uh–rik-ee-uh koh-lahy“. And they even have a sound-bite. If I can find a description like this for others, I’ll include the link.
Hope this is helpful!
- Acidaminococcus intestinalis “Acid amino cock’ us; Intestine alice”
- Bacteroides ovatus “Back ter roy’ dees; O vat’ us”
- Bifidobacterium adolescentis “Biff’ ido bacterium; adolescent iss”
- Bifidobacterium longum “Biff’ ido bacterium; long’ um”
- Blautia producta “Blough’ tia; pro’ ducta” [rhymes with plow/plough]
- Clostridium cocleatum “Claw striddy um; co-clee-atom”
- Collinsella aerofaciens “Collin sellah; aero fashions”
- Dorea longicatena “Doory ah; longy cat’ enna”
- Escherichia coli “Esh uh rik ee uh; co’ lye”
- Eubacterium desmolans “You’ bacterium; dess’ molans”
- Eubacterium eligens “You’ bacterium; elegans”
- Eubacterium limosum “You’ bacterium; limo sum” [like limo/limousine]
- Eubacterium rectale “You’ bacterium; rectal”
- Eubacterium ventriosum “You’ bacterium; vent’ ry-oh-sum” [like gentry oh some]
- Faecalibacterium prausnitzii “Fee cally bacterium; prows nitzy eye”
- Lachnospira pectinoshiza “Lack no spy’ ra; pectin no shy za”
- Lactobacillus casei “Lacto buh sillus; casey eye”
- Parabacteroides distasonis “Para backter roy dees; dista so nis”
- Raoultella “Raoul tellah” [like a person’s name]
- Roseburia faecalis “Rose burry ah; fee cal’ iss”
- Roseburia intestinalis “Rose burry ah; intestine alice”
- Ruminococcus torques “Rue min no cock’ us; torques”
- Ruminococcus obeum “Rue min no cock’ us; obey um”
- Streptococcus mitis “Strepto cock’ us; my’ tus”
I’m excited to listen to the audio version, I hope they get someone with an Irish accent. Are audiobooks very popular? I see the pre-sale price is $29.99. I was surprised it was so high, will anyone buy these?